- Assemble and install electric or hydraulic elevators, escalators, moving walks, and dumbwaiters, using hand and power tools, and testing devices such as test lamps, ammeters, and voltmeters.
- Adjust safety controls, counterweights, door mechanisms, and components such as valves, ratchets, seals, and brake linings.
- Check that safety regulations and building codes are met, and complete service reports verifying conformance to standards.
- Inspect wiring connections, control panel hookups, door installations, and alignments and clearances of cars and hoistways to ensure that equipment will operate properly.
- Read and interpret blueprints to determine the layout of system components, frameworks, and foundations, and to select installation equipment.
- Cut prefabricated sections of framework, rails, and other components to specified dimensions.
- Install outer doors and door frames at elevator entrances on each floor of a structure.
- Install electrical wires and controls by attaching conduit along shaft walls from floor to floor and pulling plastic-covered wires through the conduit.
- Connect car frames to counterweights, using steel cables.
- Assemble elevator cars, installing each car’s platform, walls, and doors.
- Bolt or weld steel rails to the walls of shafts to guide elevators, working from scaffolding or platforms.
- Assemble electrically powered stairs, steel frameworks, and tracks, and install associated motors and electrical wiring.
Desired Candidates Profile
- Customer-oriented, responsible and self-disciplined.
- High school or technical secondary school diploma or ITI.
- 3-5 year experience in elevators, escalators and moving walks installation.